Because of its placement, and longevity, the roof doesn’t normally get much attention. That is, until there is a problem. Nothing lasts forever and the same can be said about the roof. After years of experience, we’ve narrowed down the 6 most common causes of roof damage. Some of these can be avoided, while others cannot. Routine roof maintenance is the key to ensuring that roof damage does not lead to bigger problems and possible damage to the home’s structure.
- UV Rays from the Sun. The harmful rays of the sun are one of the main causes of roof damage. Unfortunately, there is little a homeowner can do to prevent the sun’s rays from pounding down on the roof. Before you think “shade”, read the second most common cause of roof damage!
- Tree branches and limbs. Shade can and does shield a roof from the sun, but unless the trees are routinely trimmed, they can do considerable damage as well. Dead branches should be removed immediately. Branches and leaves that fall as a result of rain and storms should be cleared via roof cleaning, which should be done once or twice a year.
- Wind Damage. Even strong winds on a hot summer day can do considerable roof damage. Older roofs see more damage from wind than newer placements, but wind definitely reduces the longevity of a roof.
- Improper Roof Placement. If the roofing was not placed properly, roof damage is going to occur, sooner rather than later. Improper caulking around the chimney and flashings can also wreak havoc on a roof.
- Lack of Maintenance. Lack of roof maintenance is the number one cause of roof damage. Having regular roof cleaning and roof maintenance can extend the life of a roof by many years. It is a job that is quick and inexpensive when you compare it to the high cost of roof damage.
- Clogged Gutters. Gutters that are neglected can cause very expensive damage to the gutter system, roof, and can even cause structural damage to the home. Gutters tend to clog easily, and need to be checked at least twice a year.
Expensive damage can be avoided simply by having routine maintenance and cleaning done. Roof damage can add up to thousands of dollars in repairs very quickly. Having our team come out and do some roof cleaning and checking for damage is a cost saving way to care for your roof and prevent expensive repairs in the future.